Runner Check-in & Activity Stations open at 8 am
5k Run/Walk begins at 9 am
Join us at Roosevelt Island on June 4 for our Spring Season 5k! You can run or volunteer, and as a parent, teacher, friend or fan, you are so important to helping our girls cross the Finish Line with confidence. Thank you for helping us celebrate the 600+ girls in our program this spring!
5k Run/Walk Registration Categories
Our 5k course takes us along the perimeter of Roosevelt Island with beautiful views the entire way. Join us for our untimed fun run/walk 5k in one of the following categories:
- Running Buddy ($30 registration fee):
Running Buddies accompany and support a girl throughout the entire 5k and provide positive reinforcement along the way. Running Buddies must be 18 years or older and already associated with a Girls on the Run participant and/or a Girls on the Run coach. There are two categories:
- Running Buddy PARENT: parent or guardian of a girl in the program.
- Running Buddy FRIEND: relative, teacher, friend of participant's family, or friend of coaches.
- Sparkle Runner ($35 registration fee, females 18 or older):
Sparkle Runners are paired with one of our Girls on the Run teams and will get the chance to run the course, cheering on all girls! Sparkle Runners are also strongly encouraged to attend a GOTR team's practice 5k in mid-May. *Registration to be a Sparkle Runner is now remaining open; please note that you will be invited to attend a team's practice 5k at their practice site in mid-May only if space is available.
- 5k Runner ($30 registration fee for under 18; $35 registration fee for 18 & older)
This category is for any adult and youth participants who would like to run/walk this fun, non-timed 5k, including siblings & friends of our girls!
All runners receive a 5k event shirt!
5k Volunteer Roles and Information
Help us with important day-of 5k roles such as our pre-5k activity stations or along the course. You can sign up as an individual volunteer or with a team! Below are our volunteer needs:
- Activity Stations: Activity station volunteers help generate excitement for the girls and families before the 5k:
- Happy Hair volunteers help girls and families get GOTR-ized before the race with colored hair spray.
- Photo Booth volunteers help girls, coaches and families capture the joy of the day. All smiles at this station!
- Star Power Stories: capture special moments from our girls & coaches at this story booth!
- Course Marshal: Course Marshal volunteers will serve as cheerleaders along the girls and their running buddies! They will also help to ensure safety of all participants.
- Field Set-up: Field Team volunteers assist with set-up and breakdown of team site flags, tables and water near the finish line.
- Registration: Registration volunteers help check-in runners & distribute t-shirts and bibs to 5k participants [non-program participant runners].
- Water Station: Water Station volunteers hand out water to participants and encourage them along the way.
$10 registration fee covers background check and supports Girls on the Run NYC. All volunteers receive a t-shirt!
Please note these additional registration details:
- Registration closes for the following categories on Wednesday, May 31 at 10 pm: Running Buddy FRIEND, Sparkler Runner, and Volunteer.
- Online registration closes for the following categories on Friday, June 2 at 12 pm: Running Buddy PARENT and 5k Runner.
- Day of Registration at the 5k will be available for Running Buddy PARENT & 5k Runners from 8 am - 8:45 am for $45.
- Registration fees are non-refundable.
More about the 5k!
We believe that accomplishment comes in all flavors and that everyone who participates - whether they run, walk, hop, skip or cartwheel across the finish line – is to be honored and congratulated. Therefore, the Girls on the Run 5k is a non-competitive event for our girls which celebrates a season of learning about the importance of taking care of our emotional and physical health. As the culminating event of the ten-week Girls on the Run program, it is a moment that beautifully reflects the very essence of the program goals and truly embodies our mission of inspiring girls to be joyful, healthy and confident. This spring, hundreds of young girls will celebrate the completion of their Girls on the Run season by running 3.1 miles together, and we are so excited for you to join us!
Please Note: Current Girls on the Run program participants and coaches do not need to register for the 5k. The registration fee for Running Buddies, Sparkle Runners, 5k Runners, and Volunteers supports our overall program and our 5k costs, including a background check on each non-Parent/Guardian Running Buddy, Sparkle Runner and Volunteer.
Be a 5k Superhero & Fundraise to Empower our Girls:
As a 5k participant, you can fundraise to support Girls on the Run NYC! We invite you to sparkle & shine for our girls, helping us to raise critically needed funds for the Girls on the Run NYC program. Plus, you'll earn fun GOTR swag! Click here to learn more about becoming a 5k Superhero!
How to get to Firefighters Field on Roosevelt Island:
We strongly encourage you to take public transportation to our event! Visit MTA Trip Planner for details. Roosevelt Island has very limited parking in just one parking garage, and it is unlikely you will be able to park on Roosevelt Island if you drive. Please plan ahead.
- SUBWAY: Take the F train to the Roosevelt Island stop.
- TRAM (from Manhattan): Take the Tramway Car at 59th Street & Second Avenue Station. (Travel time is 4-5 minutes.) Exit at Tramway Station on Roosevelt Island.
- BUS (from Queens): Take the Q102 Queens Surface bus to Roosevelt Island and get off at the Roosevelt Island Tramway stop.
Please check the Girls on the Run NYC website gotrnyc.org the morning of the 5k for any inclement weather updates. In the unlikely event of cancelation, we will post announcements on the website. Please note that we will hold the 5k in rain or shine and will only cancel for severe weather conditions.
Food, Water, & Restrooms:
Pre-5k and on-course water will be available. Restrooms at Firefighters Field will be open and available for use. There is no restroom on the course. As runners finish the 5k, there will be bagels and water for participants. There will be two water stations along the route, at mile 1 and mile 2, but you are welcome to bring additional water with you to the event and on the run.
Bags and Personal Belongings:
For runners/walkers, there will be a safe area at Firefighters Field to check your bags and personal belongings. One of your bib tags will serve as your bag check. The area is monitored for the entire duration of the event. All property is left at the individual’s discretion and Girls on the Run NYC is not responsible for lost or damaged property.
Running/Jogging Strollers on the Course:
Jogging strollers are allowed, but for the safety of all participants, we do ask that anyone using a stroller line up at the back of all other runners. Adult participants must accompany strollers at all times, and assume all responsibility of the child's participation in the 5k.
Per Roosevelt Island policy, furry friends are not allowed on Firefighters Field.
Is your company interested in sponsoring the Girls on the Run NYC 5k? Find our Sponsorship Opportunities here!
Thank you to our National 5k Sponsors!